Writers Self-Promotion & Support - Facebook Groups to Display Your Work


If you watch videos and tutorials on YouTube you'll hear that self-promotion on Facebook Groups is a waste of time.
Even worse, everybody is afraid of Facebook due to the late privacy scandals.

I highly disagree with that.

I am not fond of social networks because I am too busy writing, however, I love them.
I love them because they allow me to promote my book in an easy and inexpensive way.

I am a member of several promotion groups on Facebook where I post updates about my books. Usually, it's when I have free books to offer, or highly discounted.

Believe it or not, it works.
I don't have thousands of downloads, but hundreds yes.

Some of these groups are founded to support writers and not only to post your news.

I have attempted to be active on some of these groups, but it didn't work out well.
I loved posts and commented on them.
I liked Facebook pages because they asked an exchange, but they never liked any of my pages in return.
For someone who is not part of this world, this sounds outrageous.
How can you exchange likes? 
What's the purpose of it? 
How can that help you? 
How is that a good thing? 

Well, I am not going to explain this in detail. It's not the purpose of this post.
But when you are trying to sell something, any like counts.
Then again, if you didn't know, reviews work pretty much the same way. Again, this is a different matter.

Writers struggle with visibility and attention. That's because writing is a business and many of us write.

What I noticed though is that, unfortunately, writers don't support one another for various reasons.
Usually is because they are way to busy, like me.

But some other times is because they don't want you to succeed. They don't want you to be a bestseller author. They want you to fail.

But as long as they don't disparage your work, defame you, or attack you and your work, you are fine.
Sometimes, indifference is better than a bad review or a spiteful comment.

How can you blame anyone for the lack of support in this case? 
We all work to make a name for ourselves. But we are too many and it's way to difficult to be noticed when others are noted.
Writers don't support writers unless you make a pact with them. Unless you speak to each of them directly and offer to exchange services.

Well, have a look at the numbers of the book reviews I posted on Amazon, Goodreads or anywhere else.
I can't do that... yet.

Sometimes not even your friends, family member support you. What to expect from those who want exactly what you want?
I am a firm believer of the fact that there is enough for everyone under this sky and I support anyone who asks me. Unless it requires too much of my time.

I've once been contacted by an author who started with congratulating and complimenting me for my work on self-promotion. Then he offered me money to teach him how to do that.
I told that person that it took me years and 100% dedication to learning that. It's not a perfect science.
But mostly, you cannot indulge in spending time chatting with whomever when you have so much to do. I told him that I don't have time to speak to many of my friends because I am working on my career.
It goes without saying that this author didn't like what I said and I have now another enemy who I didn't ask for.

If you want to learn self-promotion, YouTube is the place to go. Learn from those who succeeded. Listen to each and every one of them and apply their tips in your promotion campaign.
Nobody can teach you self-promotion in 5 minutes as we, writers, often expect. It's hard work, dedication and organisation.
I gave precious suggestion in this self-help book dedicated to writers: Authors for Life or For a Living?

But again, it would be better if you had connections in this world. It would be recommended to search for circles of wrriters who know what respect means.
Expecting others to put their life on hold to teaach you soemthing you have to learn by yourself, it's not productive for any of you.
Of you have money, pay someone to take care of your promotion. There are thousnads of comapnies out there that do that.

Another thing I learned the hard way is the fact that people are very prone leaving negative reviews (comments) than leaving a positive one.
These people who are extremely critical always have time for telling their thoughts.
The others are always too busy.
Again, you cannot blame anyone.
Think about how many times you left a good review? 
What about a negative one?

You get what I am saying.
We are always asking and expecting from others what we don't give. It doesn't work this way.
I wrote about in another self-help book: It's Never Game Over.

I will give only one Facebook page for promoting your work and it's called as this blog because the group was created by me: @authorforlife. Every each of you is invited to join and promote your work. 
The others are very easy to find. Just type in Google or Facebook: Book promotion.

Wouldn't be wiser to promote your work on Readers Groups? 
Absolutely!
However, find me one page that allows you place your advert.
Unfortunately, is not that easy.

What do I for self-promotion? 
I have 22 blogs that eat my life. The list is on the right side of this page. Or is at at the bottom?
I really don't remember. That's because most of my templates are different and it's too much information to recall.

I have 8 Facebook accounts: 2 personal and 6 are related and connected to my 22 blogs.
Although I am not very present on these accounts, they help me get readers.

I also have a Twitter account. This too gets me readers.

I have a LinkedIn profile and this is more professional. I write posts on it. Again, it brings me readers.

On YouTube I publish vlogs and book trailers.

But I am present on different social platforms even if I don't use them often ar at all:
Instagram
Pinterest
Bloglovin

Why doing all these? 
Backlinking. Read this to know more.

***
Are you a dreamer?
Come join meJoin us.
Support the authors who write their books.
***

If you like my stories, why not follow me and review my books on Goodreads and Amazon?
Spread the love and support an author who writes for you.
Rest assured that the universe will return your kindness.

                 Image from Pixabay

No comments