How to Deal with Criticism, Negative Feedback & Bad Reviews


I’ve been a blogger for more than 6 years.
When I started, I just wanted to cure my soul of countless deep wounds.
My mind was shattered, my heart was bleeding and I was utterly exhausted. I needed to do something to help me overcome 10 years of abuse and injustice.
It was therapy. I really thought people would be on my side because I was honest and genuine.
I didn’t really expect them to tell me that everything will be alright and that things will get better. No. But I did not expect to take more abuse either.

You see, despite horrible experiences with humans, I still believed that most of us were good-hearted and fair.
I was wrong.
People are almost never fair. They don’t see you for what you are, they see you for what they are.

  • If they are thieves, they see you as a thief. 
  • If they are liars and conmen, of course, you are a liar too.
  • If they are cruel, you can’t be otherwise. Because that’s how people are… affirm many.
Opinions are always subjective. Even the history is written from a subjective point of view. We can’t do otherwise. 
So when someone attacks and criticises your work, it’s not really about you. It’s about them. So don’t take it personally. Unless, of course, whatever they say is true.

Look inside your soul and ask yourself:
  • Have I done my absolute best with this work? 
  • Was I thorough or sloppy? 
  • Do I respect my followership?
If the answer is “It's not my fault and I couldn't care less!” perhaps whatever they say is the honest truth and you shouldn’t feel offended or hurt.

You don’t like it when people do you wrong, so why get upset when you do it to them? 
The worst is when you invest everything into providing great and useful content, and the world rejects it the same way it rejects the work of those who don’t care. 
Because people are unable to distinguish between genuine and con artists. 
I don't know why. And I don't know when we've lost the ability to see clearly. Is just the way it is nowadays. 
And they make you pay a price you don't expect because you know you don’t deserve it. 

Sometimes - often, way too often - it happens that the work of those who don't care is appreciated and promoted on a large scale. So charlatans become heroes and role models while you remain in utter anonymity.

So you cry and twist in despair. You pray and beg for fairness and objectivity and when these don't come, you fell in despondency. You give up on your dreams and believe that this world is not ready for people like you.

But that’s not fair. Not fair on you, not fair on the world.

If you are a genuine person, hold on to your dream and fight for it until the last breath.
People will always have bad things to say about pretty much everything.
Some embrace criticism and negativity and affirm with pride that is what realistic people do.
In my opinion, criticism is arrogance and snobbism in disguise. It’s frustration, hate, and envy. It’s a cloud on blue sky. Often it's just pure and plain malice.
But most of all, criticism is the easiest choice!
Yes, there are maybe people who deserve this because they are lazy, delusional, and arrogant. Just like those who criticise them.

But if you are a conscientious human who invests absolutely everything in his/her work, accept the fact that no matter how hard you try, you can’t please everyone.
Your work might not be valuable for some, but if go to sleep knowing that you did your absolute best to make something worth having (reading, seeing, hearing, etc.), then you should be at peace with yourself. 
You can’t change others, amazing human beings, and you shouldn’t even try.
  • Don’t cry and don’t despair. 
  • Don't hold a grudge and don't be angry. 
  • Don't distrust everybody. We are not all alike. 

Someone will notice you one day. They will recognise and appreciate your good faith and pure heart.
And if doesn’t happen during this lifetime, it will certainly happen in the next one. Or the next and so on.
  • Don’t succumb to misery. 
  • Don't offend because you were offended. 
  • Don't abuse others because you were abused and mocked. 
  • Love your enemies but don't feed their hunger for hatred and darkness. 
  • Follow the Golden Rule and all its variants. The Universe will get back to you when you least expect it. 
That’s what every human in every galaxy should do. That's how you, a hard-working human, have to deal with negative feedback.

I am not saying to turn the other cheek, no, not at all. What I am saying is that you cannot change despicable creatures or the weather. You just need to accept them (and it)  and move on. 
Don't waste a second to cry and curse.  It's not worth it. 
You can't change their minds. 
Work on yours. 
Work on your dream and keep believing. 
One day, the sun will shine on your road too. 
To be continued

I wish you the best of luck and contact me to promote your work.

Image from Pixabay

Thank you so much for your visit. 

Have you read any of my stories and liked them?
A review would be highly appreciated. 

📚

If you haven't read my books and are interested in doing so (English+Romanina), feel free to click on this link. It will take you to an external page (Amazon). 

The e-books in Romanian, signed with Cristina Gherghel (no longer Cristina G.), can be found here (Google Play)

Were you looking for my author blog? 

Credit pictures
Some are from Pixabay, and some others from PNGtree

In case you are feeling generous and would like to help an author help others, click here. 
It will take you to PayPal. 
No amount is too little. 
I thank you from the bottom of my heart. 

No comments